Thursday, April 2, 2009

Qualification

March 11, 2009
Dear All:
(This is a continuation of the previous post…I haven’t had much time to write – actually we just got back from 2 days out in the field, but that’s another story).
Wednesday last week was qualification day. Along with PT, it is the single most important factor determining graduation, and they definitely built it up that way. We were bused to the nicest range, given brand new magazines, and told we’d never make it out of Basic if we didn’t cut it here.
The First Sergeant and Company Commander both came out to spectate and give out the awards. I was in the first firing order because my Drill Sergeant wanted me to come up to the Tower after I finished to fill in spreadsheets and keep the day organized (and to lighten their own workload). It was still cold, and the sun was just starting to come up over the berm downrange, so the conditions weren’t perfect but I was glad to get it over with so my nerves didn’t have a chance to get to me.
I’ve done really well with the academic and physical side of the military, but I’m really just an average shot on the 300m range. It could be my weapon – going through its 180th (and last) cycle, or my second-hand gear, or the fact that I’ve only been shooting for 3 weeks – or it could just be me, plus a bunch of excuses.

March 12, 2009
Dear All:
I’m going to be really happy when I finish this letter. I thought about going to bed early tonight because I’m beat (literally – we had an epic 25 minute smoke session because some guys still can’t remain disciplined in formation – but that’s also another story).
Anyway, back to qualification – long story short, I was a first-time “GO” and earned my Marksman badge. I hit 28 of 40 targets (including 1 of 3 300m targets) and while that’s not great, it still put me in pretty exclusive company. I didn’t make sharpshooter or Expert, but I got through the course on the first try, and I’ve been told I’ll be on the range at my first duty station until I shoot a perfect score, so I’m satisfied. If nothing else, I got to put my camouflage over on my helmet (there are about a dozen in the company who couldn’t qualify – even after 15 rounds that day – so they stand out with their solid green kelvars). Now I’ve completed the look and am officially a soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment