Thursday, April 2, 2009

Funny Story

Dear All:
Our company is up for Battalion duty again today. Because 2 of the 5 companies here are graduation we’re getting slotted with it more often than usual (it’s like having fire guard, but at a different location). Our platoon also has CQ duty all day today (same deal – just for our company), and that’s where I am now. Machado (one of our team leaders, a future medic and future father) is down here with me – we’re waiting for Mommearts. He’s one of the more “undesirable” members of our Platoon (right now he’s boycotting his shift because he “always” gets stuck with them). I don’t mind the guys who have a hard time here (either physically or mentally), but I can’t stand the ones who have the attitude that this team doesn’t count. Just my two cents.
Anyway, today was a makeup day for a snow day we had on Monday of last week that closed the Post. We went to another range for our last qualification shoot. This time we had combat qualification, which consisted of firing on a 300m range at pop-up targets, while behind a wall from 3 different positions (standing, kneeling, and prone), and tested our ability to quickly change magazines and transition from one position to the next. It’s new to Basic Training, but I think it’s more practical test than regular qualification. Of course, being a makeup meant that almost nothing ran smoothly because it wasn’t scheduled. They didn’t have any MRE’s ordered so we had a UPU (You Pick Up) for lunch in the field. It basically meant they brought the DFAL (Dining Facility) to us…except that they forgot silverware (which would have been fine if they weren’t serving chili and potato salad – we had to use the removable lens from our sunglasses as a spoon). Transportation was also jacked when we got word that while we had buses out there, we had no means of getting home. So, 20 at a time, the DS loaded us up into the deuce (an open trailer on a 2-ton army truck) to make the 20 minute drive back to our company. And it was raining – just another day at basic.
But it was made lighter because I was asked to keep retelling the story of why I got dropped by DS Morrisette (quickly becoming my favorite) last night. All the companies in 2/47 had to line up to greet Alpha as they came back from their 7-mile ruck march (the last exercise of Basic – ours is a week from next Saturday), and the row is lined with Tiki Torches along the field the walk through. I just so happened to be standing in front of one when the DS asked me to “make a wish”. I closed my eyes and opened them, but that wasn’t good enough. HE said, “go on, make a real wish – anything you want” and gestured to the flame. So, like any dumb private, I took a step forward and blew the candle out. He smiled, shook his head and said, “oh no…you did not just do that…just do push-ups”. And he walked away. He came back around #47 and gave me permission to recover. Then he asked me what I wished for. I responded (honestly, but stupidly) that I wished to become a soldier like him one day. His response? “Yeah…do more push-ups”. No one around me could keep a straight face. That will probably end up being the funniest thing that happens to me here.
Anyway, I hope things are going well back home. Thanks to everyone who has written. I’ll try to respond, as always, as soon as I can. Oh, and don’t use this address after 01 April 09. I don’t know when the last day I’ll receive mail at this address, but I’ll send out my new one as soon as I get it.
Talk to you guys soon,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment