Saturday, January 24, 2009

First Letter Home

January 24, 2009
Dear All:

I’m writing this at 8:35 p.m. (2035 hrs) on Saturday night, but I’m not sure when it will get mailed. First, Happy Birthday Mom! I love you and hope you had a great day.
I’ll write as often as I can, but free time is limited and the time we do have is usually taken up with things (like shaving and going to the bathroom). I’ve been in reception all this week and will head Basic Training this coming Thursday. That’s where the real work will begin. In the meantime, I’ve been settling in the routine (wake up at 0330 and lights out at 2100), taking care of the guys in my platoon (90202 BA) (I’m the assistant platoon guard of our bay—an old, very large and very wise black man named Mungo is the bay leader). It’s been busy, but most of the time is spent waiting in line. I’ve never stood up for so long (4+ hours at a time in some cases).
Some other highlights include having only 5 minutes to eat meals so that everything on your plate turns in a sandwich, getting a shot in the ass that left everyone sore for 2 days, and laughing about all of it.
But I’m safe, and I’m surviving. I’ll try to write more soon. Hope all is well.

Love,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment